Proof that those chocolate chip cookie dough molten cakes are good? My ten-year-old sister Mia has been insisting on making them.
I wanted to make her breakfast this morning, too, but she told me she wanted something chocolate: "I haven't tried the mug brownie yet..."
We made banana mug cake together instead. It's deliciously moist and cake-y and got Mia's stamp of approval. While I loved the cream cheese icing, it could stand alone if you are not an icing person. With or without the icing, this cake is perfect for breakfast when you have an old (read: brown) banana on hand and a few minutes in the morning.
Adapted from Cooking Classy
1 ½ tablespoons cream cheese
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
½ of a very ripe banana, mashed (should be about ¼ cup)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
1 large egg yolk
⅓ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon baking powder
⅛ teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
- In a small bowl, soften the cream cheese in the microwave (about 10 seconds).
- Combine the softened cream cheese with the powdered sugar to make cream cheese frosting.
- Set the cream cheese frosting aside.
- In a large mug or in a large ramekin or in a bowl, mash the ripe banana.
- Add the vegetable oil, Greek yogurt, egg yolk, and vanilla extract to the banana, and combine.
- Stir the baking powder, salt, and cinnamon into the banana mixture.
- Add the sugar and flour and stir until combined.
- Microwave for 1 ½ minutes to 3 minutes, depending on what you are cooking it in. Mine took only about 1 ½ minutes in a microwave, but I used a glass bowl that was about the size of a large ramekin. When the cake is done, the top of the cake may look batter-y still (see above), but the cake will be "set" (i.e. not jiggly). Microwave for 1 ½ minutes, and then check it every 15 to 30 seconds until it is done.
- After you remove the cake from the microwave, frost with the cream cheese icing, and enjoy warm.
P.S. If you happen to be headed to a party for Memorial Day, I recommend making this patriotic cookie cake and bringing it along!