She's actually not technically a puppy, as she is about 18 months old, but she's so tiny for a golden retriever. I adopted her through the local golden retriever rescue organization, and according to the veterinarian papers they gave me, she weighs about 38 pounds.
For comparison, my sister Hannah's golden puppy Pilot (10 months old) weighs about 60 pounds. My parents' dog Briar... well, I think he would rather that I not talk about his weight. He's feeling a little old for that.
That brings me to, oh, yes: this salad. Perfectly easy, little to clean up, and 100% delicious because there is bacon on it. You should try it. And while you're trying it out, I'll try to reign in all my "omgigotanewpuppy" kind of talk. : )
grilled BLT salad
Makes 2 salads.
2 heads of Romaine lettuce or 1 bunch of Romaine lettuce cut in half
salt & pepper, for seasoning
about a half pound of thick cut bacon
2 to 3 small Roma tomatoes or 1 to 2 large tomatoes
1 avocado, cubed or sliced
grated parmesan, grated mozzarella, crumbled goat cheese, or other cheese of your choice
ranch dressing (or your favorite)
- Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Layer bacon in a single flat layer across the sheet. Place sheet in oven and then preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Set timer for 20 minutes. When bacon is crisp, remove it to a plate lined with paper towels to drain it. Crumble or dice when cool enough to handle.
- Slice or cube tomatoes. Place them in an aluminum foil packet and drizzle with a little olive oil. Season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
- Brush romaine generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Grill foil packet of tomatoes and the romaine until the romaine starts to get charred and until the tomatoes start to warm and caramelize (or blister).
- Divide romaine between two plates. Top with tomatoes, crumbled bacon, avocado, and cheese. Drizzle with your favorite dressing and serve immediately.